I had started a building kitbash a while back and had liked the progress at first, but then it started going off the rails and I figured that I'd just end up ditching the project and starting in on another later or just doing some checkbook modeling to complete Shizuka's skyline.
However, my friend Rios Tam said that he liked the design and suggested that I keep going with it. I sat with it a while, but was inspired to complete the project.
The main issue I was having with the building was the disjointed nature of the building. The design was ok, but there were too many things going on with it. The base was a Pringles chip can, there was a cap placed on from another container, then I purchased some colored plastic to make windows with. I used some Woodland Scenics puffy tape that I used with their Smooth-It material to make some interesting rings around it. It was...ok. Not great.
So, I wanted to unify the whole of it. I masked off the windows and re-sprayed the whole of the building and I liked it MUCH better. It didn't look so....patchwork.
I sat with the building again and thought about the details and styles I could apply. After looking through some of my reference photos, I started in again.
The building needed an entry, some flash, and some other items to break things up and make it a little more "real world". I popped a base into play, got some stairs in there and some signage and it was looking much better.
|Drag - I used Gorilla Glue for the first time on the overhang and didn't know it puffed up while drying.|
I detailed out a few other areas like the rooftop and the base to get a little more of that Real World feel to the project. I think it made a huge difference for me. A great use of spare parts and pieces I kept instead of tossing out.
I've learned a lot overall. That alone makes this a major success for me. Pushing through instead of quitting was grand as well. It's really the changing point for this project. I'm looking forward to future projects of this nature to see if I can up my game yet again. This building turned out FAR better than my other efforts.
I believe I spent about 6 hours on this in total over a span of about three or four months off and on.