Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Do I really want to tear all of this appart?






So...here is the deal. Firstly, someone asked me if I had a track plan recently. I had to say that I didn't because...well..I don't. :)   The first rev of the layout was much smaller. Then, I branched out into another room in my office. THEN, I consolidated the entire thing into the one front space. All of that was done through trail and error track building with the KATO Unitrack. I would build things, try them out, and adjust. LOVED that system. It really worked well with my thinking. However, I didn't think things ALL the way through.


THE TRACKS

So...my tracks are called out in this YouTube video.




I have some still shots of areas as well.









THE PROBLEM

The problem is - as stated in the video - is that I want to tear everything up and re-group, but I HAVE SO MUCH WORK IN ON THIS IT'S REALLY GOING TO HURT!!!!!!! 

I talked to Tom Barbalet from the most excellent MODEL RAIL RADIO (( If you don't listen, you really should. It's a fantastic podcast! And FREE! ))  and he rally blew me away with his statements. He said that I was a great modeler (Wait....WHAT?!? ME?! :::blush:::) and that tearing up a layout to get something that I REALLY wanted doesn't seem like a problem to him because I'd be able o not only handle the rebuild, but I'd be able to make things better.

I was really blown away by these statements. I have HUGE respect for Tom and to hear him say this really filled me with pride and confidence.

But....there's a lot of work done here.....









It's something I'll be doing a lot of thinking about over the next month or so. I'd love feedback if time allows. It's a big choice. But, if I could tighten things up and be happier with the layout, it migh be well worth the effort.

<><>



6 comments:

  1. What is the worst case scenario if you tear it down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting.
      I guess the WORST that can happen is I tear it down, rebuild, then look back on photos I've taken of this layout and think, "Crap...I liked that layout better..." :)
      I think that's what I was really concerned about. However, being able to get yet another round of things i wanted originally into the layout would be great. I wanted more layering height wise, track that I could run many different types of trains on, and a few other obtainable items, so I think it's well worth the risks.
      I'm going to start a running list of what I have now and what I'd like to accomplish with a new layout. I think the costs would be minimal overall. Mostly some additional foam for decking. We'll see. :)
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Allen McCllellen had to tear out the V&O. Pelle Soboerg has torn down two layouts in 10 years. And those are but two examples of outstanding mrr's that have been reborn. Your will, I think, follow the same path.

    And Tom is right - you are an excellent modeler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard stories. I mentioned QUINNTOPIA (http://quinntopia.blogspot.com/) tearing out his layout for similar reasons. Enough Frankensteining things to try to make things work. Sometimes you need a fresh start.

      Thanks for your kind words and thanks for reading. I'm a pretty modest guy - leaning more towards "I have no idea what I'm doing, but I like it" and hearing people praising my work has been really cool. :)

      Delete
  3. What your going to find out about hobby like this - your suppose to make a layout. Photograph it and then send it in to the magazines. For sale so as to recoup your investment. Hence, if you look at N Scale Modeling. Lots of times they just make scenes for the cover and a few visually stimulating photos. Then, they just move it aside. Thus, is why N-Trak is so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. True.
      I don't think my layout is going to make any magazines, but I will document it before boxing it up and starting over.
      It's funny, everything including my last order from Japan has just stopped. No work being done, no new builds....
      Just....plotting. :)
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete