Monday, June 10, 2013

Soyokaze: End of an Era


I was listening to an old MODEL RAIL RADIO podcast I was on back in September of 2011 and I had to smile. On the show, I talked about wanting a harbor and other changes and additions and I got a lot of them done. Done, of course, being a relative thing.

The whole time I was building Soyokaze out, I was thinking through a process for a future layout. This was a testbed, really. A small, 5' playground. I was trying out various techniques and layouts so that when I get my "real layout space", I could be ready to roll on it. And, it looks like that day is finally here!

We recently purchased a little homestead in the East Bay and will be moving shortly. It's a very exciting space with neighbors that say hello when you see them OUTSIDE their homes. Kids on the dead end street. A playground a mere block and a half away. And...space. More space all around including a location all for me, my office, my collectables and my train passions! My wife is almost as excited about space for me as I am. :) She knows I love these little items and that it makes me happy.

So, with the BRIGHT AND SHINY FUTURE® finally here, I'm saying so long to Soyokaze in this iteration. I was very proud of what I was able to do with the limited space and time I had to work with and I'm already having fun planning what the combined Soyokaze and Shizuka arrangement will be.

I know it's going to be a long haul and that time will need to be spent on planning and base benchwork building before anything even begins to be set down, but part of the fun is just planning and knowing that I have space to play in!

ONWARD!

More Soyokaze photos can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcojojo/sets/72157629841149542/


















2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Malcolm on the home purchase. The American dream lives !

    I believe each layout effort is a stepping stone to the next one allowing us to develop our skills. I would say Soyokaze was a very good stepping stone for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brad!

      Yes, stepping stones indeed. A learning process. I've been able to work a lot out with this effort. I've also learned what I want to do on the next round and what I DON'T want to repeat! :)

      Delete