Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sept 1 Layout Update

I'm starting to figure things out on the layout. It's amazing how I can have so much more space, but it's still not the space that I thought it was going to be.

I have my track and my stuff is coming together, but I lost track of what I was doing for a moment. Tom Barbalet of the Model Rail Radio podcast had a great point once. There's something about having the actual track and laying out the actual track to get a sense of things. It's a great process, but I have purchased to much track. I know that now. I have some excess track going now, but have what I need to complete my little circuit.

Harbor area switching and the area for the water (under my hand)

I got a loop going in the Soyokaze section and I was happy with it overall, but - while cleaning dishes - I remembered what the purpose of the switches was originally. I wanted to have the harbor section be a little action area for some light operations. Basically, switching on a super small level. It'll be fun, I think. 

My assistant, Miss T   :)

After speaking with my assistant, I reset the switches and got things rolling the way they were meant to be. I'm happy about the way things are looking so far.

I rolled in some elevation in the area between Soyokaze and the Harbor area. This took care of the feeling I had that there needed to be some elevation between the water and the main village. The harbor will occupy the area beyond the white foam. The green foam will have more of the temple area laid in. I need to level set the track and work the foam so the track lays in more. I plan to build up support walls and the like. Based on what I did last time, I think that cutting and shaping the foam will work well for this.

 All in all, it's an interesting process. I've been rather busy with life and work of late, so things crawl along on the layout. I feel that this will be the case for years and years. I've accepted that fact and I totally see that this is a hobby, is meant for relaxing and not stressing and I have my eye on the things in life that really need my attention right now - Family. However, when time allows, I dabble. :)

In other news, I have my little shelf project that I'm trying things out on and that's coming along nicely so far. Last night I managed to apply a layer of Water Effects. I'll see how things worked out when I get home tonight. I hope that the Water Effects will help mask some of my mysterious water cracks. We'll see after it gets a little paint.

Also, if time allows, I'll be working the clay portion of the project to create the street area. I'm rather excited about it, but I'm still looking for something that will help with the patterns I'm hoping to get into the clay for the street and brick. I was going to do the whole street in bricks, but seeing as I'm in N scale, I'm not sure I want to spend the time doing the WHOLE street in bricks that are this size -- . So, I may do a few sections of brick highlights instead. I also plan to try out the gutter idea I had. I'd love to get this gutter look between the street and buildings!


((    NOTE: It took me 4 days to complete this blog post. :)   ))

No comments:

Post a Comment