Wednesday, November 27, 2013

November 27th Report

Things are moving along in the hobby. The weather is getting colder and the hobby momentum is moving along.

I recently build a building from scratch from styrene and it was fun to get something together so quickly. I wasn't meaning to complete an N scale structure. I was chatting with my wife and mother-in-law and meant to crank out a prototype building. However, next thing you know,  I'm holding a a small, modern structure. Sure, why not?! :)

It was meant to stand up vertical, but after looking at it, I thought a horizontal building would work better with the design and design flaws within it. :::grin:::  Not bad for a first pass. Now...windows and doors need to be added.  ((My signature whiskey is present as well, of course.))  :)



I also built another building from scratch. It was rather basic and boxy, but I did what I set out to do. I've been finding bits of plastic and saving parts from other buildings and kits and saying things like, "Hey...this could be some widget on a building or something...," and brainstorming things up for the saved bits of plastic and the like. It's been working well. A part I didn't use became the roof for this building for my harbor area.



I was doing some planning and saw that I needed to flesh out my town area a bit - the transition between Old Town Soyokaze and and the Shizuka City. I was placing an order and was checking prices and saw that I could get one building for $22 or six Greenmax, unfinished buildings for half the cost. Building and painting the structure kits seemed like something I should be progressing to, so I got the Greenmax 2136 Shops Assemble Set. I'm looking forward to applying some of the techniques used by the great Akihiro Morohoshi (http://www.omorodesign.com/omoro_Site/home/home.html

Sure, it's more work, but that's what I want now. More work and more time to spend on my hobby! 
It's going to be a challenge, but it will be worth it. I'll take the building I like the least and do that first as practice, then I'll fine tune the process and - in theory - I'll get better and better with each round. 

It's great to be getting some hobby time in these days! 










No comments:

Post a Comment