Friday, February 20, 2015

Go go going on the layout - Soyokaze

Some Soyokaze building going on.

Another Sankei card stock building went up. Each one of these seems to present another set of challenges. I just built a Greenmax plastic kit and I have to say...I liked it. The paper has a lot of give and things don't line up 100%. The detail is grand and they look great when they are done, but there's a level of frustration that goes along with them as well.

This kit was a nice build. I was excited about the look and feel and tossed in some figures just to make sure it looked like something was going on if you got a peek into a window. I've been using the tacky, crazy painted people for internals. No need wasting really good figs inside. These figures are hilarious. Garish pinks, yellows and greens. I'll be able to use them other places, but only after some repainting.

The front piece was really nice on here. It's going to look great on the layout. Tossing some of the crazy pink figures into the window will give some story potential for sure.

Again, things lined up rather well overall, but you can still see some edges that didn't line up here and there. From a distance, it's looking better for sure. Some nice details.

I stuck some of the oddly colored plastic figs in the window. :)

The Soyokaze landscape is looking pretty good. It has the look I've wanted.

I took the one paper kit and dropped it in with two plastic kits to form a sort of "food and gifts" area. Sake, keepsakes and fresh fish! :)

I built up stairs with painted styrene. They work well with the foam core.

Adding some figures really made a difference as well.

"The View from the Other Side" is looking pretty good as well. This is the view one I'm smashed between the layout and wall. :)  Some nice scenes.

Soyokaze Farm - soon to be renamed and added to

The busy Soyokaze Station.

Temple Hill

I started building a little section in the back of the layout and it was rather amusing. I started doing it with magnets - thinking I could use them for support.The process got super complex and they I realized that I really didn't need the magnets at all. Gravity was already holding the section in place if I put supports under it. A head slapper for sure. :)

Since these photos were taken, I've made much more progress on this section. Photos to follow.

Now, I need to refocus after this section is in place and the bridge that goes from Temple Hill over is set and get back the the subway section! I started getting into analysis paralysis mode and hit some stumbling blocks. I'll get rolling on it again.

All in all, it's fun being able to add some more detail elements now that some of the larger layout items are in place. SO much to work on now. It's a bit overwhelming, but fun. It's great to get more people onto the layout.



  1. Great idea what you did with the stairs. Looks natural and can solve any problems with adjusting for odd angles. This is looking great !

    1. Thanks again, Brad.
      They worked rather well. I was guessing that they are about the right scale. It worked well to spray the whole sheet first, do the cutting etc, then touch up with the same spray sprayed into a small cup to get the areas where the white styrene was showing through. It allowed me to make some funky angles and things as well.
      Thanks for the kudos! :) And, thanks for checking out the blog and leaving comments. It's great to get the feedback!