Friday, March 6, 2015

Kato 3078 JNR Electric Locomotive Type ED19



Part of my birthday order this year was this new engine - the Kato 3078 JNR Electric Locomotive Type ED19.  I wrote Plaza Japan and asked if the 3078 could take tight curves. They said that it shouldn't have any problem with them, so i ordered it up. I wanted another "workhorse" engine and the Kato items seem to run well on my layout and this one didn't disappoint.

This is a smooth running little engine. Not too loud. Great details. I'm super happy with the purchase!






I'm doing some SUPER LIGHT operations now - just juggling between the Portram and the 3078. I can move the Portram off the main track, run the 3078 around with some refrigerator cars, then run it back to the harbor area and get the Portram back into action. It's not major, but it's fun. :)






I want to build out the harbor area with a loading dock area with more action in there. It'll be a fun little detail.



I'm so happy with this engine. I love how the KATO selections run. Happy camper.

4 comments:

  1. Nice engine, one that I have been eyeing up too! What radius curves can it handle? I'm guessing it won't handle my r103 super mini Tomix curves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Michael.
      According to my contact, the minimum is R150mm. It works on my Kato Uniplates.

      Delete
  2. Hi, does anyone know if the ed-19 unit comes with the KATO knuckle coupler? Thank You, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's the rapido coupler, but I believe you could switch it out if you wanted the knuckle instead.

      Delete