Friday, June 10, 2011

Starcup Coffee Building

More pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcojojo/sets/72157626932204350/
























The Tomix Small Size Office Building B is a cute set, but it had these massive front windows and no floors. In my buying mania, I purchased it, ripped it out of the box and tossed it among the other buildings I had, but it always bugged me that it was....well...hollow. A big, empty shell of a building.

I finally made this right with the use of styrene and WHAT a difference.

I crafted floors from styrene and made tables and chairs to fill things out. Wall details and the like were added as well to really drive things home. But, I was faced with the problem of getting the floors to stay inside the building.

My first plan was to stick the floors to the inside of the structure itself. I knew that that was going to fail, but could not think of another option. Finally, as I tried to fall asleep one eve, it came to me. Build an internal structure that could slide into the main building. I was thrilled with the ease of this plan. Worked like a charm.

As I look back on this project, I could have taken more time with the detailing and craftsmanship. Of course, that's the case for all of these projects! :) I did manage to spend a few days on this (instead of hours) and I think it shows. A little more time and effort will round out the next project nicely.

Comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment