Monday, June 6, 2011

The Thompson Building




More photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcojojo/sets/72157626898677980/


This was the first time I've used the Greenmax 2101 Building Set. The sets come in a base model with additional "floors" you can buy as an add on.

I got the base and two floor additions and was eager to break in and get something going. The big thing on this project was to actually take time to build out each floor with people and furniture instead of the usual hollow, empty building.

The process was a bit of a chore are first - mostly in the building itself. It's a VERY modular set and it really allows for some creativity. Unfortunately, it also made for some initial confusion as well. The instructions cover multiple aspects of building, but the many options available made them a bit confusing at first. However, once the concept hit, it was simple to get things together.

I'm happy with the way this turned out for the most part, but there were some things that I would have liked to be a little cleaner. The panels were my major pain point. The building is made of of panels which you can arrange to your liking, which is grand. However, some fit together better than others. The ones that don't mix well tended to pop out a bit creating a somewhat obvious bulge. I'm sure if I took more time on it, I could have cut them down to fit better. Live and learn.

The insides were a lot of fun to build out. Now I just need to learn about wiring and LED lights to light these buildings up!

No comments:

Post a Comment