Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Station Project - Ballast Madness

Overall, I'm happy with the way this is turning out, but I need to learn a little more about laying down ballast. It's MADNESS.

My process was to lay everything out, block out where I wanted things with pencil, then start building up from the pieces to the foliage. However, working with ballast was difficult (and messy!) in the space I have. I got a little ahead of myself as well, dropping in some trees before the glue was dry. (SEE: "I need to take more time with projects" :) )

Then I tried to be smart and do the ballast application outside. However, I found that high winds and ballast make more MESS than PROJECT. hehehe Moving back inside, I finished up and added round one of foliage.

The board I used had a WICKED bend in it after all that project glue was applied, but today when I looked, the problem fixed itself and the board is now laying flat.

In theory, I'll be able to take this whole section and transfer it to the future, "When we get a bigger place" layout - connecting it and building out a little more platform area.

More progress shots later.

~~~ (later)

Hmph....someone here says to mix the glue and ballast beforehand and use it as a combo paste. Interesting. I'll have to look into that.


  1. Wow! I just can't imagine mixing the ballast with the glue? That seems like it would turn into big clumps that you'd have difficulty getting to lay down nicely. The first method he mentions on his blog (I guess this is the traditional way) worked okay for me. The trick is really in soaking everything with water and dish soap BEFORE any glue gets put on (for years I confused the glue and 'wet water' steps as one application, but its two passes). Once I've done it this way it works well. Make sure you soak the ballast with lots of water and dish soap however, you want the water to penetrate all the way through the ballast so that the glue will also seep down to the ground.

  2. I have another little project that I'm about to start that has more ballast involved. I might try this out to see how it works out.