I started out with painting the water area of the layout. I found some reference material online and matched the color of the water. The water I found was rather green and this paint up matched. I found that getting a good base paint to start with is key when using the Woodland Scenics Water Product.
I painted the insides of a few buildings while I had the paint out. I had some severe light leak going on some of the buildings, so I painted the insides with a black acrylic to cut down on it. It worked rather well.
I placed a strip on styrene on the front and back of the shelf to block the water, but neglected to let it dry first. ((See: Bush league blunder due to trying to rush through something)) I KNEW it was going to fail, but went forward anyway. And...low and behold...a water leak. :) Shocker. So, I waited for it to dry and re-poured another layer to offset the 50% water loss in the first pass. Worked out fine.
I made sure that my bridge structure was in the water area before pouring. This is key with this water. You're not going to get things into it once it's set. Again, I love how it turned out.
The next steps will be the Water Effects product to really flesh things out on the shore and at the bridge support. I'll also set down the clay for the small street that runs through this tiny section of Soyokaze. Initial tests have been promising. :)