Monday, January 23, 2012

Old Town - Revised









The model train hobby seems to be mostly about planning and revisions to said plans - about 80% by my rough calculations. :)

Old Town is being re-thought again. The original plan was to have the Old Town section laid out on KATO road plates. However, after taking a look at some locations in Japan, the organized and wide space the plates offered didn't match the vision I had or the real locations I scouted. So, another revision was needed to match my minds eye.

I snagged a plywood sheet from Home Depot and had it cut down to fit on my current dresser location. This was the best option right now - the space was already being used for the setup and - since we've signed a year lease recently - we're going to be here for at least a year and the magical, future space of my combined layout isn't happening any time soon.




This new area will allow for me to build out everything from scratch. I'll have smaller street areas, walkways, lots of foliage areas, a raised section for the temple area made from 1" styrene sheet and will have the look I really wanted for the Old Town section. I think this new revision will also mean re-doing the parking lot. I may just hack it in half and manage it that way.

All in all, I'm excited about this new direction. I'm trying not to let my excitement about it drive me too fast, however. I think that keeping a slow pace and thinking things through will give me the best results. There are a few break out spots in my life coming up where I'll have a block of time to work on the project, so I'll ramp up to those spots as they come up.

If you have comments or suggestions, please feel free to toss them out there! I'd appreciate anything that might help out in this process.

Cheers

<><>

No comments:

Post a Comment