Wednesday, August 27, 2014

August 27th ramblings


Progress has slowed in Shizuka and Soyokaze of late. Work and family commitments have taken over a bit of the hobby time.Well...a sizable amount, really. :::grin::: However, I slink along here and there - adding bits and bobs to scenes.

As I play around with this, it's becoming very clear that people will really start making this layout pop more. The areas that feature people and interactions are far more interesting and alive. I'm working out a plan of action when it comes to the people side that will most likely involve using TOMYTEC and KATO (among other brands) for "hero" people featured and going with a self painted group for the mid and background people. This worked really well for my buildings when I used the self painted people for the inside and more name brand people for the folks up front and center in my scenes.



This truck needs a driver! LOL Just noticed.

You can see the difference in a scene that looks like it should have people, but that doesn't have them placed as of yet. Same with sidewalks - I really need to look into sidewalk options and get some of them in now that I have the City headed in the right direction.



There are going to be a TON of people walking this bridge in the future.

The scenes are coming together with a deepth that is really working in many places.


I still get blown away looking at everything together. I need to listen to the MODEL RAIL RADIO episode I first appeared on the hear about everything I wanted to start doing - I hit many of the marks I set for myself back in 2011! I'm pretty proud of that. It's good to keep in mind when I start getting down about not having hobby time! HAHA

PAGE LINK:

Direct MP3 link


~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~

In other news...

I made a stop at BERKELEY ACE HARDWARE today and saw these cool little kits. 1/144 tanks and rail equipment items. Now, I'm not really into German or Nazi war machines :::grin::: but, I do like sci fi and heavy equipment items like this. I was thinking that if the German markings were left off and a more WARHAMMER-like paint scheme were done, these might be fun little photo op items to slap on the tracks and take photos of. DRAGON does a really nice job with details. Maybe on day.








~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~


I was also thinking about Christmas time and the train tradition. N scale around the tree just isn't grand when you have a 4 year old and 1.5 year old in the house. However, something in a larger gauge might work out nicely. Add a little snow, a Christmas tree or three and a house with people singing out front and you have yourself a nice little roundy-round the tree item. ((Especially if you add another $60 of track into the mix.))   :)    Now, to get a few hundred acquired before December.....








Oh...and I'm TOTALLY serious about that. :)    I think it would be a fun little item to break out and run around during the holidays. We could even have a "Haunted Railway" during Halloween with a little planning and bashing.

Something along these lines.....

We'll see what the future holds. It might be a CHRISTMAS 2015 item. Most likely a better fit seeing the kids will be closer to 5 and 3 by then.

~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~ ~ • ~

I might be putting together a little shelf scene for my sister-in-law similar to my Soyokaze River shelf I put together. I need to talk to her about details and what she'd like to see. It would be a blast to be able to build shelves for folks, get paid for the materials, take photos when they were done and just pass them along. I would get the fun of building, I wouldn't have to pay and I wouldn't run out of shelf or wall space! :)


All in all, there's one thing for sure. I love model railroading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment