Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Old Town Hillside Building Plan

More plans. More sketches.

I got a great comment on the N SCALE LIMITED forum when I posted something about my Old Town layout plan. Someone said, "These shots are great. Are you going to try to show the same thing on your layout?"


YES! That's exactly what I wanted to do, but I had not thought about it. I knew I loved the image above, but wasn't thinking about getting the same view in my layout. Originally, I had the building rows in line t the edge of the layout.  So, you would have to be on the side of the layout to get the view shown above. Thinking about looking down the street, I shifted the houses so that they were on the 45. This way, the viewer will be able to "look up the street" when standing in front of the set.


Lighting would be cool, but I'm not really ready to take it on. I may work the small, battery powered TOMYTEC light setup I have into the hillside, however. It would be so nice to have a soft, yellow glow coming out of the buildings at dusk! Worse case is I just abandon it once I have it in place. I'm not using it now anyway, so I might as well give it a shot.

QUESTION:
I'm wondering what the best system for building out the hillside is for my lack of a work area system.

My idea right now is using foam core layers to build up the hillside, then I'd lay plaster gauze over that to create the hill itself. The buildings would be stair-stepped into the hillside so they are level and the "small streets" called out in the top image would be sloped. But, is this the best system?
I could go with more styrofoam and just carve it down.
Or, there is a builder foam I could carve down into a hillside as well. "Gator Foam" has been called out as a good material as well.

Any comments here would be appreciated! I have a work session planned for the 16th and 17th and would love to have a game plan called out so i can get some base work in!






No comments:

Post a Comment